Getting ready to hire a lawyer and thinking to yourself “What questions should I ask before hiring a personal injury attorney?” Thinking up questions to ask a lawyer can seem like a challenging task, but it doesn’t have to be. Questions will depend on your specific case, but here are some generic questions to get you started:
• What areas of law do you specialize in?
• Have you taken cases similar to mine in the past? How many? How did they turn out?
• Will other attorneys beside yourself be working on my case?
• How long will it take to resolve my case?
• Do you work on a contingency basis?
• Can I do anything to improve the chances of my case being successful?
• If I try to contact you how long will it take for you to return my call?
• Who will answer my questions if you are unavailable?
• How frequently do you go to trial?
• If I am offered a settlement and you recommend I settle, but I disagree, will you still take the case to court?
• Conversely, if I am happy with the settlement offered, but you think we can get more by going to court, will you agree to settle out of court?
• Have you ever been censured or disciplined by any legal or ethics committees in the past? If so, why?
• Can you provide me with references to past clients?
Thanks for the tips on what to ask a lawyer. My friend was being discriminated at her work and she wants to hire one. I’ll be sure to show her this article.